Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The screen is greener on the other side.



So this weekend I've found myself building a green screen for some upcoming Chroma key work.

If you didn't know this already, then chroma key utilised either a green or blue background on which you can film (or photograph) subjects and then digitally add a different background over the top.  For example, if done well, you can transpose your own face and associated paraphernalia to anywhere in the world you may have never visited: Taj Mahal; Peak of Everest; The top of Sears Tower; the underpass used in the Clockwork Orange movie.


The equipment is pretty expensive to buy; like most 'pro' kit you end up paying extortionate amounts for what turn out to be simple objects.  The green screen material itself is pricey, but essentially (and if you get the colour right) you can pick this up from a local fabric store – I did (Abakhan in the Northern Quarter).  Unfortunately it wasn't quite wide enough so I found myself discussing the more rudimentary aspects of dress making with the staff in that fantastic store.  I needed hemming web apparently (over sowing...I can barely sow cress seeds).  So I purchased a packet of this magic stuff – you basically overlap the fabric, place the hemming web inside and then iron it for a permanent fix.  I now had my required 5 foot width of material for my first green screen productions.

I'd then require a dash of velcro (again purchased from Abakhan) which I would sow onto the fabric and then attach to a pole – the pole which is attached to the frame, again made on the cheap from local hardware stores (my 'model' made from conduit).


It worked a treat.  


Off to Wickes next to pick up some 'Hollywood style Kinoflo Light Rig'...in actual fact a set of kitchen/shop fluorescent tubes with 'diffusers' set on their side.

I'm overall impressed.  I picked up another light from set on a tripod as my fill/key and as far as I was concerned I was good to go.

I still have to muck around with the footage on the 'puter but if I don't get it like George Spielberg did in Jaw Wars V I'll be as cross as Dee Snyder.

No comments: