Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Demons on Celluloid Street



A few days back I finally got round to attending a meeting for a short film (*well, more high tech video) project I'm hoping to start in September.  Initially I thought this to be a short 10 minute project  but it now turns out it will run for at least one hour.  This has been in the pipeline for a year or so but since I've been asked on board, it's grown legs and is itching to dance one off. 

I think at the very least this will be a great experience, whatever obstacles and cul de sacs fate throws in it's general direction. 

I'll personally be involved in the technical side on this occasion: camera work, 'cinematography' (by no means am I an expert, but I'm surfing them learning curves); editing (which I rather enjoy); and the Music, like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, I like you best of all.

A bit to take on admittedly but I reckon it'll be a whole load of fun.  We had a meeting last week to discuss, with a friend of mine, to discuss actors/actresses we will need.  My friend is a writer and has started directing small theatre plays and as such as whole host of talent for us to tap into.  He may also direct for us which would be a bonus – he's good to get along with and a talented fella.


The story is based on an Middle Eastern demon known as a Jinn, what we know as Genie (I had to Google it to be fair having not know the story and history behind it).  The writer and the guy behind it has expressed his views that this should be a dark psychological horror, with intent rather than full on 'fangoria' (cheaper props then).  Think Dark Water & Grudge rather than SAW et al.

I'm really hoping we can get our act together and get this rolling.  These type of projects (i.e. making any kind of film) are notoriously difficult to pull off successfully.  The more it's talked about (rather than acted upon) then the more diluted it becomes, to the point where it remains a pipe dream.  We're a few meetings in now however so there's a chance this may take off.  Between us all we should have the kit to make it work (lights, cameras, post prod gear) so all that stands in our way is a lack of determination and inspiration.  If we can get it looking absolutely 'mint' then it's a plan of the producer to take it around distributors and hopefully local independent cinema/film nights in the city.

I'll be updating this blog with news (and I'm hoping there is some and this doesn't fall back to the earth from whence it came...) and hopefully pictures.

No comments: