Monday, June 16, 2008

No sublime Cornland this year.



We've almost booked our summer holiday for 2008.  Surprising for us we've managed to pretty much sort this out several weeks before we plan to go...it's usually last minute for us and it's generally a cottage in Cornwall we find via ebay.  

This year however our options for Cornwall have run dry.  Cottages are very expensive down there, although for the most part worth it – I absolutely adore Cornwall.  It seems like a far flung land removed from England (the arduous journey down qualifies that).  There is a magical quality to the place, perhaps due to be situated on magnetic ley lines or something, although it's virtually an island with the sea surrounding it's 'three' sides.  

Devon of course is lovely but doesn't quite hit the bulls eye like it's Cornish cousin.

With petrol prices so enormously pumped up at the moment (and there unlikely to reduce now if not permanently), so it's with disappointment that we we'll be heading elsewhere this year.  How I'll miss the sun falling down on beautiful St. Ives, quite possibly the only British seaside resort not in decline (and quite the opposite).  I've found a stunning  fisherman's 'cottage' overlooking St Ives, a place I covet as my pad for my 'silver' years.  It resembles a wooden sea shanty cabin built on stilts, the kind of thing Steven Spielberg would set one of his characters in should he have made a film set in St Ives.  

From there I could wander down to one of St Ives three beaches and attempt 'surfing procedures' whatever my age (there's a fella in his 80's who surfs regularly in Newquay).  Although I haven't as yet tried full on surfing, myself and my elder daughter hired body boards last year – and what joy!

The hand of nature wilfully toying with you in return for a little respect.  God knows what speed I was doing when I 'caught a wave' but I bet it would be illegal on some residential streets.  At one stage I nearly careered into the full body of a rather large, hirsute but congenial looking gentleman...I finished this dazzling move off with my face almost buried in the front end of the beach.  

Enough of this frivolity I thought...the Tate Gallery St Ives beckoned me, it's architecturally pleasing strucutre  placed perfectly above Porthmeor Beach.

I remember this being a blazingly hot day (especially for Britain) and the gallery was currently showing a Brian Wilson inspired exhibition.  With pieces by various artists dedicated to the spirit of the beach boys founder or pieces inspired by 60's Californian summers everything in my environment melted into perfect  harmony.  To complete this vivid sensation I had a local beer on the outdoor beer garden on the roof of the Tate.  With the wide-screen open sea (which St Ives is famous for) in front of me and Beach Boys piped over the sound system I can barely register many more magical moments in my time.


Right...onto completing the booking for this years holiday...

No comments: