Tuesday, July 29, 2008

City too hot...



I've a feeling my previous dalliance with a sun dance has gone a little too far: a victim of it's own success if you will.

It's absolutely tilted in the wrong direction now – the heat is stifling and I'd guess sales of fans have hit the roof?  In fact I mosied on by a couple of local electrical stores at the weekend and guess which implement dominated the window displays?  Correct – the 'Fern Cotton' free range sowing machine...but in second place (and by some considerable distance over the runners up) were the selection of fans.

I attempted to turn on a cheap heater/fan we purchased in the winter when the boiler broke down – works ok heating up a cold house but is almost useless as a fan.  It blows a fine stream of cool breeze much like a six month old baby would blow a raspberry.  Not sure I trust it anyway- it cost less than a decent takeaway for two in some far flung land I've never heard of.  We had a decent fan but I can't for the life of me locate it.  It wasn't need at all last year but summer has returned with a vengeance and we just aren't (as usual) prepared for it.  I've half thought about knocking some window shutters into the bricks outside to recreate that Mediterranean villa look (but in inner city Manchester).  As I work for the most part from home I don't have the luxury of 'air con' and it's probably a ridiculous  apparatus for anyone to place in their home in the UK anyway...but at the moment I covet one like nothing else.   The blinds are shut, the curtains drawn but still I cannot shake off the heat – the sweat occasionally dripping onto my keyboard forcing grammatical errors (yes more so than usual).

Perhaps I can fill the kids paddling pool up later and dive into that (should I be able to fit).  I'm sure that will be a sight for the neighbours, sore eyes?


Shame it isn't the weekend then the only thing to do under these circumstances is fire up the bbq, grab some ale and stick on some classic Studio One reggae sounds...well that's my plan for the weekend sorted should I not perish in the heat before then.  Ironic really as I was only recently bemoaning the fact that our summer was a complete and utter washout.

No comments: