Monday, July 28, 2008

Flower Festivals?



My Mother came to stay with us this weekend and as her visit coincided with the RHS Tatton Flower show we thought we'd all peg it down to Knutsford on Sunday.

Having never been to any type of flower show before in my life I can't say I was bursting with anticipation: I've done a spot of green fingered business in my time (and we're currently growing veg in the back lawn) but as yet I've not been hooked.  Perhaps one day in later life when current pastimes fall off my radar (or I end up becoming sick to the back teeth of them) I'll take to this sport with much more enthusiasm...or perhaps I'll end up living on a boat and take Tai Chi to it's ultimate conclusion.

However, despite my less than keen motivations to attending this popular flower show I ended up rather liking the whole affair.  For one I was amazed at the scale of the event: I've been to a few local festivals recently and those combined could barely fill one of the numerous show tends dotted around here.  I've read that an estimated 300,000 folk turned up over the last few days which is pretty remarkable.  I can why it's popular mind.  I was astounded at many of the hundreds (thousands?) of varieties of plants and flowers on show: some of whom I'd never seen before in my life.  From beautifully delicate lilies (again  - so many sub varieties it befuddled me) to quite odd looking grasses to giant fruit and veg and a shrine to one of my favourite

 'vegetables' (part of the Capsicum family) the chilli.  A bonsai stand containing hundred year old trees (pictured) almost blew my Birkenstock footwear off my feet – incredible.  And so I was beginning to enjoy this event I initially thought might be a bit of a struggle.



We took the kids along, although in hindsight this is probably not the best day out, certainly for the  younger children: there's simply not that much for them to do.  It also didn't help that it was one of the hottest days of the year (and the heatwave in Manchester continues) – there's only so many 'magnums' and 'citrus infused water' you can give a child which is hot and not entirely convinced by the attractions.

Another bonus was the bar (strangely only one serving ales, although there were plenty more 'Pimms stations' dotted around). A couple of jars in and the vibrancy of the plants and flowers take on a much more exuberant appeal...I was fighting with my maestro card not to pick up a couple of sublime Japanese Acer plants (they have a sell off at the end of the event which soon enough evolves into a mass scramble for the offers).  

Aside from the flower and plant tents were the collection of show gardens (a la Chelsea Flower Show) – surprisingly some of these were for sale...and I'm talking about gardens with small lakes and ancient olive trees, artistic furniture being transported and transplanted in your back garden.  Possibly a reality for many of the Cheshire set but not so us.  I procured a couple of lilly bulbs which happened to share the name of one of our daughters.  Perhaps next year I'll upgrade to a water feature?

Aside from all the flowers/plants/furniture/show gardens et al was a huge marquee filled with shops selling anything from posh pyjamas, beds, champagne and local produce.  As we were pretty starving by this stage of the day we grabbed a load of posh sausages and breads and called it quits – a barbecue would be struck into action on our return home.

I think I'll probably return again next year, it's made me look at gardens in a whole new light...whether I find the time and inclination to set about mocking up a 'show garden' is another matter...maybe in a few years we'll move on down to Cheshire and recreate that mini lake and Japanese bridge we saw at Tatton... 


No comments: