Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Green Digits.


When the government turns the sky top off for that one week in May we get each year, I'm going to make up with my garden.  It's not so much that I've been treating her badly, more (like her human counterparts) I haven't quite shown her quite enough love.  I managed to cut her hair last week (remember last week when the sky, bizarrely, turned blue?) and gave her bikini line/hedges a nice trim.  Unfortunately, her herb area has become a somewhat 'trampy'.  Flourishing though it is, fashion dictates a certain way of wearing your herb sections down below.  I personally love the 70's look, she unfortunately doesn't (top 'fash' mag Gardeners World telling her how to run her life, how to manage her shaded area's, who to allow in to her life etc).

So I'll set aside a weekend to really get my hands dirty and spruce her up something special.

I've already procured some fancy plants to insert on her beds: a fine photinia to crown the north eastern section; a couple of native Mediterranean studs to fizz her up a little (I'm talking Kiwi, Olive and Bay Trees here).  I'd had these in mind over the past months as a surprise and I'd plant them at night whilst she slept, so in the morning as the squirrels bounced across her brows she would awaken to several new bed fellows.

I've realised it takes years and persistent tinkering and nurturing to really make a beauty, but usually  you're paid back in kind with the fruits of your labour.  

I'm nearly there with her: not quite the finished masterpiece as yet, but give it time and she'll be the bell of the ball.  I have to pull out a few herbal jewellery items and sparkle up it's aforementioned bed (the Oregano is breeding like a CGI rabbit) but I hope to send to her for auditions on 'Living TV 2's Britain's Next Top Garden' come June this year.

No comments: