Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Canon can.



During the past year I've managed to somehow be involved in the destruction of a couple of digital camera's.  One of such breakages I can probably accept responsibility for: it was in a pushchair that  once folded resulted in the crushing of the LCD screen of 'camera 1'.

Now this was purely accidental (I had no idea it was residing in said pushchair) so I cannot fully be at fault here surely?  'Camera 2' stopped working a few weeks back.  It went from taking vivid snaps of friends and family to taking multi coloured 'murals' of images best described as abstract.

Now theses camera's 'were' (they're both unusable now) used heavily on a daily basis (my girlfriend uses them as part of her job working with children) so we certainly got out moneys worth during their brief, yet wholesome life.  I'd actually pulled the first damaged camera apart in a [currently] aborted attempt to fix it like some eccentric scientist.  If I could perhaps find somewhere that sells replacement screens I may in fact be able to rescue it, but so far my searches (mainly online) have proved fruitless.

Anyway, it's now sat in a salad bag on top of my microwave in around 50 pieces.  God knows if I can reanimate it but should I get a replacement part then I'll certainly give it a go.  I've been told that a local company (real camera company in the Northern Quarter) may be able to help so I'll take the salad bag in some time this week and see if there's anything I can do.


In the meantime we've just purchased a second hand DSLR on ebay.  Now these camera's were pretty pricey (the kit came to around £1000) at the time and given that they are still a very decent camera, we were happy with the price we got it for.  Compared to the point and shoot compacts this is a bit of a beast (although for a DSLR it's a handy size and weight).  The camera, the Canon EOS 300D, came with a lens attached as part of a kit and it's possible to add different types of lens as you go on (although these do not come cheap the camera is more than capable of producing startling images).

My girlfriend might take a bit of convincing that this was a much better purchase than the compact digi cameras – afterall, you can fit those in your pocket/purse/handbag.  Not really possible with these larger camera's...hardly stealth like.  However, I'll guarantee the images they produce are worth the pay off in size and accessibility...once I get to grips with the more technical elements of it.  It's possible to pick a auto program and go ahead and shoot, but for more refined and creative moments then it's worth understanding some, at least, of the fundamental elements of photography.

I sometimes use an old 35mm SLR which I love to bits.  The images are much more 'filmic' and 'cinematic' than the new digital point and shoots.  Whether this DSLR replaces that much loved piece of equipment, only time will tell.  


No comments: