Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Impending trip to Barcelona.



In less than a weeks time we all, as a family, fly out to Barcelona.  This will be the first time in a while we've been out of the UK for our summer hols: we usually traverse the two thousand odd miles (the journey down feels that long) to Cornwall come August.  Looking at the prices for a place down there (especially leaving it this late) it became apparent that this year (especially considering the price of petrol) that we might be better off flying 'abroad' in 2008.

So this weekend we fly off to the Catalan capital...and I can't wait.

Aside from the abundance of cultural offerings and the beautiful, almost organic looking architecture (courtesy of Antoni Gaudi) I think my body is about due some sun rays.  I half expect to awake from this poor UK summer we're enduring as a gollum type creature, cursing the rain god for all it's worth.

I might jump onto one of those shopping channels and buy myself a set of UV lights and place them  on every ceiling in the house.  It's been warm enough (but that clammy, humid warmth rather than the sharp energy giving heat donated, occasionally, by 'sun ra'.  Whatever have we done to upset her?

Anyhow...the cases are out and ready to be packed, although to be fair I usually pass this job over to the missus: I really have little idea when it comes to packing for trips away.  I just can't get my head around the concept.  Pair of shorts (which will I'll be wearing on the trip anyhow); sandals; a few t shirts; a 'nice evening shirt'; pair of jeans (possibly); underwear; pair of 'denim keks'; toiletries – and that's it – I can fit all that in an American 'fanny pack'.

Oops...forgot about the kids.  There you go see...awful at this packing game.  I'd have them pack a bathing costume each, a weeks worth of clothes and have done.  Travelling with kids on budget airlines it makes sense (financially and physically) to take less luggage – extra weight and luggage incurs what can be a fairly substantial fee (which is how most of these airlines make up for the initial cheap cost of the ticket).

I've planned a bit of an itinerary for our visit, certainly wishing to revisit Girona and hit the town of Sitges (and it's beaches) fitting this in with the myriad attractions within the city itself.

I'll report back with pictures on my return.

Say adios for now.

No comments: