Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Blackberry wheels.


As part of my new keep fit regime (having knocked it on the head for far too long), I'm taking to biking (again) on the Fallowfield loop.  Last year (or was it the year before...perhaps I took last year off when it came to keep fit?) I took the long route from the Withington connection all the way to Sportscity in East Manchester then back via the city streets rather than the loop.  It's an interesting route, taking you through this hidden countryside within the inner city, something you never see when you're in the car or on public transport.  A couple of spurs lead to you various villages along this path and also onto local parks both small and large (Debdale Park can be reached via this route).  Occasionally you would catch glimpses of Manchester City centre peeking over the top of the hedges, trees and bushes which line the 15 odd mile long cycle loop.  Other times you will see Police training horses saunter by, the horses making your bike look the size of a tonka toy such is their size (like Snooker tables, horses look much larger in the flesh than they do on TV).  Very rarely, you might spot a few kids trying out those obnoxious off road motorbikes, tut tut.  The silence of the trail momentarily broken by the sound of a giant mosquito.  

Mostly, however, you'll spot other cyclists and dog walkers.  In a car, most people barely give the time of day to other motorists and any form of communication is usually an aggressive blood pressure raising, violent mouth off...something is a little more rare when on foot.  The protective armour of the car, almost convincing people they are Peter Weller's Robocop.

There's a sense of community along this route.  Although you normally greet people via fleeting nods and your heads pass by in space at a combined speed of approximately 40mph (23 mph if they are walking, 29mph if they are using roller skis) it's usually enough to warm your cockles and keep afloat your belief in the human spirit for a few hours at least.  

As the nights will inevitably drawn in and Autumn and Winter get out of bed, scratch themselves and head for their morning shower, I won't be taking this journey as often as during the summer.  

It helps define myself and my family's summer (I take my younger daughter on a child seat on the back of my bike – I guess next year she will be riding a bike herself).

In the freezer I still have several tons of blackberries we picked along here in the summer...what I'll do with them is anyone's guess...blackberry gin anyone?

 



No comments: