Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Food, ales and musical oats.



I usually pop into Chorlton at least twice a week, purposely to 'pick up groceries'.  Some people love Chorlton, many hate the holy than thou 'muesli knitters' brigade which are said to populate the place.  I'm personally keen on the place.  It's far from perfect, but in it's own way it's a mini Manchester compressed into an inner city suburb cum village.  It's large enough to draw in an interesting diversity of people and amenities and close enough to the city to still retain that city vibe other places further out don't seem to have.

I tend to pop into the Unicorn, not because I'm some militant vegan (I eat and enjoy meat, although I did go 'veggie' for ten years) but because it offers something totally different to many other towns and villages up and down the country (all though certainly not unique).  For me, in this village, there is an emphasis on food, drink and music...an independent cinema, though unlikely, would be the icing on the cake.  The village that gave birth to Dangermouse and the Bee Gees and saw Quentin Crisp pass away within it's walls, now pushes good quality local food, real ales and good music.  Pick one of the many bars dotted around the Philips screwdriver layout of Chorlton and you'd be unlucky to pick a bad one.  

I wandered into Dulcimer bar the other day – one I'd missed, unfortunately for it is an excellent bar.  Everything seemed to fall into place brilliantly, an instant hit with several of my senses.  Great coffee, fine selection of beers (with knowledgeable bar staff willing and able to suggest a cheeky tipple you very may well appreciate).  The décor is right up my street too, wonderfully exposed brickwork, with occasional paintings ping ponging my visual bits.  Then some fine, contemporary folk filters through the Wharfdales and nestles gently onto my auditory ossicles.

There is a fight to keep Tesco's out of Chorlton.  The campaign has been fairly successful so far, but I think it's only a matter of time before Tesco get their plot.  To be honest, there is already a Morrison's in the village (which many people use) and as I pop into Tesco's on occasion (alongside the local shops) it would be a little hypocritical to have a go.  I suspect they will open soon enough and Chorlton will remain pretty much as it did before, but with even further choice now.

It would however be said if some of the local stores took a hit,  especially during this current economic situation.  

Otherwise this village is a fine example of how a village of this size can work – it offers pretty much everything for everyone...and with a Metro line coming soon, it will offer even more.

No comments: