Monday, October 20, 2008

A pop around a Norwich based Village.



I found myself back in Norfolk last week, stopping off my girlfriends family following a wedding in London.  We usually make the trip down there a few times each year, although it's been a while since out last visit: in fact the last time I was down there was when a huge, duvet of snow covered the lands around for miles.  Picturesque villages suddenly becoming those perfect Victorian/Georgian period Christmas card scenes (see photo...although bear with me, I only had a camera phone, unfortunately in which to capture the moments).  Although extraordinarily quiet and not (if honest) a great deal happening in the rural villages of this county, it's still ever so pleasant.

There's a few charming pubs dotted around the area, usually coming complete with thatched roof for extra brownie points.  

In the village of Attleborough (but a couple of miles from where her parents live) there is a cracking looking pub called the 'White Lodge'.  We seem to drive past this on the way (or way back) from other places so I can't really comment on what it is like inside, but the reviews seem favourable so I'll pop in next time I'm down there.  I've been in a couple more in that village and I can't say I had my best experiences (landlady almost growling at us because we had the audacity to enter he pub whilst she was eating!) and another that looks like the door will punch you in the face if you get within 6 feet of the place.  There's a few of those in every town and village up and down the country and certainly not specific to any region.  Still, there's a couple more decent looking olde style pubs I'd like to try out...I find it increasingly harder to pass a cosy, archaic but good looking gin palace without desiring to enter its warm charms.

I suspect we'll be back down there at Christmas time so I'll try and make a visit or two to these places whilst there.

No comments: