Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Drainpipe Disco.



With bad news and economic gloom, the onset of Autumn and the departure of Summer (for what it's worth), the nights drawing in and a temperature drop, seemingly of around 90 degrees (and I usually don't feel the cold), everyone can be forgiven for being a collection of miserable sods (forget the collective phrase – 'misery-geese' sound ok?

I aim to counteract all this, just before I myself succumb to it, by going a bit New York Disco over the next couple of weeks.  Not talking nu-rave here – no: authentic New York psyche pop disco uniforms which I hope to start building up by the weekend.  I'll start slowly of course, so as not to upset the neighbours or scare my children.  In fact we'll probably do it as a family – a trip perhaps to Afflecks Palace in Manchester to get us started.  Primark might help out here,  but I'm a little concerned over the sweat shop mentality of the place so a Charity Shop afternoon might be better off.

I'll start with leg warmers – I'm looking into some lime green numbers, but shocking pink will be as good.  We used to wear these back in school in the 80's, thinking we were so cool a: for actually wearing them and b: wearing an odd pair (pink and lime green together).  Next up the obligatory wristbands.  These are ten a penny at the moment.  Being a sporting accessory (casting it's sport net wide) I'll have no trouble here picking a pair of these up, but the rule is: the more old school the better.  Then onto a headband – I have one of these already.  It's a classic Ivan Lendl number...the one with the faces made from cosmic swirls.  Lovely.  One of my favourite tennis players too, despite looking like a bit of  a miserable sod.

Leg wear: not sure I'll currently (if ever again) get away in a pair of drainpipes and Lycra leggings are totally out.  I'll have to research more on this one...

Hair – my hair is pretty much of it's mash anyway – spot of VO5 fudge and I'm laughing (like the local community will).  Media wise, I'll indulge myself  in a bit of New York pop nostalgia from the 70's right up to present day.  Yeasayer and MGMT will help out here.  Perhaps I could also pick up a pair of rainbow roller skates off  'the ebay'.  I was once a hot roller skater if I say so myself and it's fantastic way to help me slip into my aforementioned drainpipe keks...photo's to come.

Wish me luck.

No comments: