Thursday, October 2, 2008

Sad Naps and soul machine.



I keep having friends and family harp on about the new member of the family and how I should too adopt one.  They sit in the front of your car and advise you of the best route to wherever you're nipping out to in the car.  Bit like your partner really but this one gets it right and you don't end up screaming at each other when traversing the numerous, sinuous A roads which pepper the country.

But I think I'd prefer to do without a Sat Nav/Tom Tom/Annoying Wall-E type telling me what to do...I've enough of that in every other aspect of life.  It's true we don't have to think any more.  The TV tells us what to watch, the magazines what to wear, what to eat; the road signs tell us which way to go, at what speed, who's crossing the street, what amenities/attractions are nearby...sometimes they can be of help, but ultimately we're rendered daft by all this.  Hence I don't need anything else to speak into my brains, certainly not in my bloody car.

Besides, the quickest and most efficient route is not always the 'best' route, whilst subjective, there's something to be said about the longer journey through the smaller arterial roads.  There are some beautiful routes on the A6 as it happens, a journey I take far too few times (visiting family...they tend to visit us these days).  The same journey via Bam Bam Nat Sax is admittedly quicker, but far less interesting with motorways replacing valleys, streams and gorgeous hills.

Computers make out lives easier, more informative, more social and more fun.  But occasionally you have to put your foot down and put them in the place.  They will probably respect  you for it.  In the week when a 'computer' told me I'm three stone overweight (there's not a great deal of me to be fair) I thought it was time to trust the organic voice inside my person, at least once in a while, rather than a bunch of silicon vomiting out algorithmic data at random.  After all, they're known to be mischevious creatures underneath their plastic coating and DVD drive eye slots...


No comments: